The Pensions Regulator's (TPR) objectives set out in legislation are:
- to protect the benefits of members of occupational pension schemes
- to protect the benefits of members of personal pension schemes (where there is a direct payment arrangement)
- to promote, and to improve understanding of the good administration of work-based pension schemes
- to reduce the risk of situations arising which may lead to compensation being payable from the Pension Protection Fund (PPF)
- to maximise employer compliance with employer duties and the employment safeguards introduced by the Pensions Act 2008
- to minimise any adverse impact on the sustainable growth of an employer (in relation to the exercise of TPR’s functions under Part 3 of the Pensions Act 2004 only).