On this page
- There's more your client can do to help their staff understand automatic enrolment into a workplace pension than simply providing them with the written communication required by law.
- The employer is an important and effective channel of communication for their staff throughout the automatic enrolment process – your clients may ask you to help them raise awareness about the changes.
- A range of key messages across a number of channels works best – keep them short and simple.
Key messages to communicate to staff
- The message about employer and government contributions into a pension scheme gains attention, as do facts and figures. Read the Department for Work and Pension's key messages.
- Messages around why saving for retirement is important can help engage staff with the subject of workplace pensions.
- Staff appreciate an explanation of what automatic enrolment means for them. For example, information about how much they'll contribute and when.
- Details of where staff can find out more, either from their employer or in the workplace and personal pensions information on GOV.UK are helpful.
There are a number of ways these messages can be communicated. A few examples are below.
Intranet or newsletter articles can be used at various times. Use any or all of the text in the examples, keep them short, and explain where to find out more. Read news in brief (RTF, 11.5kb, 1 page) for suggestions on what to put on your client’s intranet or in a newsletter. You can find more comprehensive content in the intranet article (RTF, 204kb, 2 pages) or newsletter article (RTF, 29.2kb, 2 pages).
Text or email
Text messages or emails are quick ways of letting staff know when automatic enrolment is happening for them. Read the suggestions for text and email alerts (RTF, 38kb, 1 page). If email is used, there is a risk that the server may file it into the ‘junk email’ folder, so don’t rely solely on email as a method of communication.
Employers are required by law to write to all staff (except those aged under 16, or 75 and over) about what automatic enrolment into a workplace pension means for them. For more information, go to our page on Writing to your client’s staff.